2014 will be a tough year for travel along Wilshire Blvd in the Miracle Mile with all lanes being reconstructed and improved, and the curb lanes converted into peak-hour bus only lanes. But by winter of 2015 we should have a much improved thoroughfare from Western Ave to San Vicente.
The Wilshire Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Project is intended to further improve bus passenger travel times, service reliability, ridership of the existing Wilshire BRT system, and encourage a shift from automobile use to public transit. When finished, this project will include 12.5 miles of fast moving bus lanes – mostly along Wilshire Boulevard – from Valencia Street (just west of the 110 Freeway downtown) to the Santa Monica city line at Centinela Avenue.
The first 1.8 mile segment of this project opened in June 2013 – a section that travels Wilshire Boulevard from Mac Arthur Park to Western Avenue.
Now it’s time for the project to continue its trek west…
According to the Wilshire BRT, construction will soon begin on Wilshire Boulevard between Western Avenue and San Vicente Boulevard. Area residents and travellers can expect:
- Posted signage noting the temporary location of bus stops.
- 1-2 lane(s) of traffic will be maintained open in each direction at all times.
- Parking restrictions in the immediate area of the construction zone.
- Access for pedestrians will be maintained outside of the construction zone.
- Access to homes and businesses will be maintained at all times.
- Because this project will be constructed in many phases, detailed construction notices will be distributed to those residents and business owners within the construction area at least 10 days before the contractor begins any work in that specific area.
This project will convert curb lanes into peak-hour bus only lanes. Improvements include the reconstruction of the existing curb and four middle lanes of Wilshire Boulevard. Overall improvements include constructing curb and gutter as well as paving and striping the street.
The project is expected to be finished in Winter 2015. When complete, the bus lanes will operate during the hours of 7 am to 9 am and 4 pm to 7 pm, Monday through Friday only. Bicycles will also be allowed in the bus lanes. Vehicles wishing to make right turns will be allowed into the bus lane near the intersection in order to do so.
Questions? Contact Wilshire BRT at (213) 922-2500 or email firstname.lastname@example.org