The joyful life of Andy Lewis Maverick was celebrated by friends and family at St. James’ in the City Episcopal church last Saturday morning.
Andy Maverick was remembered as a joyful contributor to his religious community and neighborhood. He lived in on Windsor Blvd. in Windsor Village and in Fremont Place where this writer had the pleasure of being his next-door neighbor. Emily and Andy Maverick were wonderful stewards of the communities they lived in generously giving their time and service to others. I recall many chats over the fence about goings on in the neighborhood and sampling his homemade wine. His love of animals was extraordinary too. We are the proud custodians of the Maverick family dog’s very large food bin that was kindly passed along to us after their beloved dog of many years died.
The following was prepared for last week’ service by the Maverick family:
Andy was born in Los Angeles to Pirie Davidson Maverick and Lewis Adams Maverick in 1927. He served as a medical corpsman with the Marines from 1944 to 1946, stationed on Guam toward the end of World War II. Andy graduated from UCLA with a major in chemistry, and received a Master’s in chemical engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 1951. There he met Emily Fisch, and they began a life of adventure together. After a position at Standard Oil of California and a joint venture with his brother-in-law, Walter Perkins, Andy taught engineering and electronics for over 30 year at Los Angeles City College.
Andy and his siblings Janet and George attended schools in Switzerland in 1937-39 when their father was on sabbatical leave, and they have had a lifelong love of languages, travel and skiing. Andy loved to share memories of friends and family, the music of his youth, signing in a barbershop quartet, playing banjo in a Dixieland band, ski trips, spending a Fulbright year with Emily and their son Andrew in British Guiana, and 3 sabbatical yeas with Emily and the children in Switzerland. He loved teaching and was thrilled to participate in metallurgical research at EMPA during sabbatical leaves.
Andy grew up attending Episcopal churches in Santa Monica and in West Los Angeles. He and Emily joined St. James’ Church in 1957. Andy served at St. James’ in a variety of roles, including on the Vestry and in the Food Pantry, where his service to others inspired on young congregant, who spoke at the memorial service to pursue the study of gerontology.
He developed a deep love of church music as a teen, playing organ for services at the Midland School in Los Olivos. On his last visit to church in this past May, he went home humming “Come Down, O Love Divine,” But his all time favorite composers were Louis Armstrong and Frédéric Chopin.
We remember Andy fondly for his good cheer, quick wit, success with winemaking and barbecuing, joy in bodysurfing, enthusiasm for science and appreciation for others.
Andy is survived by his wife Emily and their children and grandchildren: Andrew and his wife Anne, their son James and daughter Emily, Vance and his wife Pei, and their daughter Rosa and Mary. He cherished close tied with many nieces and nephews and their children.
Donations may be made to the St. James’ food ministries, the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank or you local food pantry.