Perhaps you’ve decided to get more involved in your local community in 2014? A great place to start is the Greater Wilshire Neighborhood Council (GWNC) and their regular Board Meetings that take place on the second Wednesday of every month. Through a network of 95 Neighborhood Councils, the City of Los Angeles promotes public participation in government to improve government responsiveness to local concerns.
This Wednesday, the GWNC will hold its first Board Meeting of the year. The agenda is posted online, at the GWNC Website. Some of the highlights of the meeting include:
Local Government Updates
- Mayor’s Office | Yeghig Keshishian, Central Area Representative (Department of External Affairs) for Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti
- CD4 Update | Ben Seinfeld, Field Deputy for Wilshire, Larchmont Village, Koreatown, Miracle Mile
- CD5 Update | John Darnell, Field Deputy for Carthay Circle, South of Carthay, Carthay Square, Miracle Mile, Fairfax, Hollywood and Melrose
Community Concerns/Public Comments
- Presentation of GWNC Citizen Recognition Award: Fred Pickel
- Wilshire BRT Project Update | Ginny Brideau, Project Manager – The Roberts Group
- Other Public Comments
Election Committee Report | Barbara Savage
2014 Greater Wilshire Neighborhood Council Elections take place on Sunday, March 30th. Interested candidates should review candidate guidelines and file as a candidate prior to February 15th.
- Candidate Filing Period Open Until Feb. 15
- Flyer Distribution (through Neighborhood Associations)
- Candidate Registration Table at Larchmont Farmers Market – Jan. 12 & 19
- Candidate Forum – Tuesday, March 18, 6:30 p.m., Wilshire United Methodist Church
- Other Outreach Efforts
DWP Oversight & City Budget Issues | Jack Humphreville
Transportation Committee | Gerda McDonough
- Wilshire/Crenshaw Staging Yard – meeting on January 30, 6 p.m.
- Metro request for extended hours for subway construction*
Outreach Committee | Fred Mariscal
- Looking for Citizen Recognition Award nominees, especially “unsung heroes” – nomination form
- Larchmont Zoning Conversations – next steps (Patty Lombard)
- CD4 Candidate Forum (Humphreville/Lombard)
PUBLIC Comment: The public is requested to fill out a Speaker Card to address the Board on any item on the agenda. Comments from the public on the agenda items will be heard only when that item is being considered. Comments from the public on other matters, not appearing on the agenda but within the Board’s subject matter jurisdiction, will be heard during the Community Concerns and Public Comment periods. Public comment is limited to two (2) minutes per speaker, unless waived by the presiding officer of the Board.
Printable PDF Agenda: GWNC Board of Directors Meeting Agenda – Jan 8 2014GWNC Board Meeting Wednesday, January 8th at 7pm The Ebell of Los Angeles 4400 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles Parking available in the west lot – accessed via the cul de sac off of 8th Street, behind The Ebell Theater. Entry to The Ebell only through the western door adjacent to the lot.