Vintage Dining at Area’s Oldest Restaurants in LA

| June 6, 2015 | 1 Comment

M&F

Offbeat LA put together a list of the oldest restaurants in Los Angeles and a number of vintage establishments still serving are located close to the greater Hancock Park area. Many are located downtown LA, including Cole’s and Philippe’s who still battle it out claiming they offered the first French Dip sandwiches, but others are sprinkled across the entire LA basin including Pasadena, Culver City, Beverly Hills, Whittier, and Arcadia.

Included in Nikki Kreuzer’s “Master List of the Vintage, Historic and Old School” the longest-surviving, still-serving restaurants are:

Musso & Franks Grill on Hollywood Blvd (1919) has some of the oldest waiters still serving up an old-school menu and martinis in classic old Hollywood style.

Formosa Grill on Santa Monica Blvd (1925) near the Target complex, still serves from an old red trolley car. Serving up Asian-infusion grub.

El Cholo on Western Ave (1927) is the oldest Mexican restaurant in Los Angeles. Serves hundreds in a warren of rooms \ cozy kitzch, it is still a go-to for traditional mexican food.

Canter’s on Fairfax (1931) – what more to say than it’s one of the oldest jewish delis – still with the same booth seating and pies on rotation that seem to have always been there.

El Coyote on Beverly (1931) – the only remaining Mexican themed restaurant where the waitstaff still wears extravagant costumes.

Magee’s Kitchen (1934) – known for its corned beef, in the Farmer’s Market.

Tom Bergin’s on Fairfax (1934) – looks the same as it always did but shined up under new management, still serving up stout on tap and burgers from the grill.

Dupar’s in the Farmer’s Market (1938) now has several locations around town, but the original still stands proud on the corner of Fairfax and Third.

Larchmont Buzz: New Faces behind Tom Bergin’s

Larchmont Buzz: Dupar’s Talks Pies

The original bar at Tom Bergin's on Wilshire was moved by patrons down the street to its current location.

The original bar at Tom Bergin’s on Wilshire was moved by patrons down the street to its current location on Fairfax in 1949.

 

 

About Julie Grist

Julie co-founded the Larchmont Buzz with fellow buzzer Mary Hawley in 2011 and served as Editor, Publisher and writer for the hive for many years until the sale of the Buzz in August 2015. She is still circling the hive as an occasional writer.

Tags: ,

Category: Featured, Larchmont Village Dining / Drink, Larchmont Village Life

Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Iris Craddock says:

    Good memories, still alive and kicking thank goodness. (aThere is another one on Lios Feliz, Tam O Shanter, I think!)

    Memories of the dear “departed” come to mind … Anyone remember Tail of the Cock, Johnny Wilson’s Ready Room, Tally Ho, Barclay’s Kitchen, and Cave des Roys???? Good old La Cienega was ALIVE then!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *