According to LA Metro, the parking lot adjacent to the Metro building on La Brea and Wilshire will close today. That closure signals the next phase of Purple Line Extension as workers begin to prepare the corner to act as a staging area in support of work being done along the 3.9 mile stretch between Wilshire/Western and Wilshire/La Cienega. Eventuially, this corner will be home to the Wilshire/La Brea Metro Station.
The parking lot has served as a helpful source of free parking for area residents and businesses. As Metro takes possession of the space, they will have to work with LADOT and Council District 4 to find alternative parking solutions. They have currently identified three lots as potential replacements…all within two blocks of the Detroit lot.
A schedule of work activities from April through the summer of 2015 at the location will include:
- Construction of a temporary fence
- Removal of trees
- Removal of artwork at former La Brea Customer Service Center
- Construction of a temporary alley to exit west on Detroit
- Alley closure at La Brea
- Demolition of former Metro Customer Service Center, Blockbuster and Lawrence of La Brea buildings
- Construction of sound wall around entire property
- Work Hours – 7am-3:30pm
PDF (Click on Link): LA Metro Community Presentation – March 19, 2015