The recent rash of burglaries has spilled over into gated Fremont Place. Last night a resident surprised a burglar searching for jewelry around 8:45 pm. When confronted, the burglar left immediately apparently taking several watches.
It seems the thief entered the home through an unlocked kitchen door at the back of the house. As for getting into to Fremont Place, the victims believe the burglar jumped over a fence along the western edge of neighborhood, at 8th street and Muirfield Road. The home on the Muirfield is vacant. Workers had been there during the day, but finished yesterday.
Earlier this week, SSA Security Group issued a Crime Alert about five residential burglaries in Hancock Park on McCadden and Las Palmas. One of the victims provided a short video of the suspect in one of those incidents, who may also be involved in the other burglaries. In some cases the thieves broke in, but in others they simply entered through unlocked doors. Particularly worrisome are the “hot prowl” burglaries in which victims are home and confront the thieves, such as the one in Fremont Place. Fortunately, in all these cases, the suspect fled immediately, avoiding a confrontation with the victim.
All of the above incidents have been reported to LAPD. Increased patrols in the area, including Fremont Place, may help police catch the suspect. In the meantime, SSA offers the following security tips to help you avoid being the victim of a residential burglary.
- Have good exterior lighting turned on throughout the hours of darkness. Use timers, motion detectors or solar lighting in outdoor areas.
- Keep doors and windows closed and locked during nighttime hours unless alarmed screens are in place.
- Subscribe to an efficient alarm monitoring company that will follow your instructions.
- If you have a guest house or room above a detached garage, have it alarmed. Always keep doors and windows locked when not in use. When not locked or alarmed, it is an attractive location for home invasion or hot prowl burglary suspects to lay in wait for your family to return home. You enter your home, turn off your alarms and the suspects initiate their criminal act.
- Subscribe to a private security patrol company that will respond to your calls for service in a rapid and professional manner. They should have the training and experience to keep you from placing yourself in harm’s way when you hear suspicious sounds during the night. Know that some suspects are not concerned about confronting their victims.